Sheila

Sheila's Reads

HIS WICKED REPUTATION by Madeline Hunter

His Wicked Reputation - Madeline Hunter
  Gareth, the bastard brother of the Duke of Aylesbury, has been asked to search for missing art work that had been stored away from the coast in fear of a French invasion. During his search he learns that the new Duke has rescinded the dispute on property his late father left to him. Since he wants to restore it and it is where he is searching for the art work, he makes it his base. Unfortunately it has been burgled but Eva, a neighbor and one of the thieves, asks that people who took things from it bring it back. He meets her as he almost runs her over the first time he is in the neighborhood. She is trying to keep her family's estate and ensure her sister marry well by selling copies of paintings stored in Gareth's new home. She does not tell him what she is doing. He is attracted to her but she is not his typical type. So why does he keep going back to her?

I loved Eva. She is spunky and speaks her mind. She is able to explore her curiosity while keeping the gossip down. Gareth is fun. He does not have to behave like the Ton since he is the bastard son. He loves helping Eva explore. The two together are wonderful.

The secondary characters are colorful. I cannot wait for the other brothers' stories. The townsfolk around Eva's home are an interesting lot. Some who have taken Gareth's property return it under cover of night. Some work for him. All have nothing but good to say of Eva. Some also betray.

I loved this first book of her new series and anxiously await the next installment.