Sheila

Sheila's Reads

HER BEGUILING BUTLER by Cerise DeLand

Her Beguiling Butler: Delightful Doings in Dudley Crescent - Cerise DeLand
  Finnley has been sent in by the Home Office to determine if murder has been committed in the home of the late Lord Ranford and if so, by whom. He is attracted to the mistress of the house and hopes she is not responsible for murder.

This is a cute story of a butler (or so the heroine thinks) and the mistress of the house. While he tries to persuade her that nothing can come of their attraction, Alicia sees signs that he is more than he admits. Their banter is fun and humorous. When she finally realizes that he will not break with tradition she decides to give him a taste of his own medicine. He does not like it. I enjoyed watching them battle each other. Alicia is cold and withdrawn while Finnley does to break down her walls. She's hurt by his lies but cannot turn away from him for long.

I liked the opposing points of view. I especially liked hearing Finnley's voice. His was more interesting and open. Of course, he knew why he was in Alicia's home as does the reader. The only one in the dark was Alicia which makes her play for him all the more intriguing. She knew he had secrets but she did not know all the secrets in her house.

With this introduction to Dudley Crescent, I look forward to more stories in this series.