Sheila

Sheila's Reads

MASQUERADE WITH A MARQUESS by Cerise Deland

MASQUERADE WITH A MARQUESS: A Regency Romp - Cerise DeLand

Sophia has come to England from Italy to find two paintings that belonged to her family and were stolen.  She is found at a masquerade by distant relatives who open their home to her.  While not wanting to rekindle her one-night stand with Victor, she is unable to keep her distance from him.  But he knows Sophia is hiding the truth from him as well as the importance of the paintings she seeks.

I enjoyed this story very much.  Sophia and Victor are two complex characters who were fascinating to watch to see which one would open up first.  Both needed honesty but were unable to trust because of their separate, and combined, pasts.  Both are wary of each other as well as their need for each other.  When they let their walls fall, they can reclaim their pasts and their love.

I also liked the secondary characters.  They move the story along but they are an interesting group as many of them were spies.  I would like to see some of them in their own stories (besides the ones that have been released.)  I would especially like to know what goes on between Wainwright and Victor's step-mother.  There is also a story about Victor's father and Elizabeth, his third wife.  Victor makes some statements I like to understand better.

The story line kept my interest.  I wanted to know what was so important that Sophia risked her reputation to get back those paintings and how far she was willing to go.  I liked how the past was woven into the story so that I knew what had happened.  There is enough suspense here as well as romance.

MASQUERADE WITH A MARQUESS is a wonderful read.  I look forward to the next story in this series.