Sheila

Sheila's Reads

H IS FOR HAWK by Helen Macdonald

H is for Hawk - Helen Macdonald
  This is Helen Macdonald's story of training a goshawk. Her father had just died when she decided to train this hawk. She has been interesting in falconry since a child and this is her first attempt at training a hawk. As she is training, she is also battling depression which she does not realize at the time. Reading T. H. White's (he wrote The Sword in the Stone) attempt at training a hawk she compares the two of them.

This was an interesting read. It started slow as I had to figure out when she was talking of herself or White. As she compares the two of them and their methods, I found the differences between them make the story. Both become the hawk but eventually Helen does seek help and realizes she is not a hawk. I'm not so sure White did. I learned at lot of falconry and the training of birds. I especially liked when she described Mabel's attention to some things but not to others. Mabel, her goshawk, had a definite personality. The book ends with Mabel going to molt for the year. I wonder what happened the next season.