Sheila

Sheila's Reads

BRIGHTON BELLE by Sara Sheridan

Brighton Belle (A Mirabelle Bevan Mystery) - Sara Sheridan
  Mirabelle worked for the OSS during the War. When the war was over she took a job as a debt collector's assistant. Her boss disappears and she uses her knowledge to try to find him. As she searches for him she learns of other misdeeds and murders occurring that may be related to his disappearance.

I enjoyed this book. I liked how history was pulled into the story with those attempting to escape their war crimes. Ms. Sheridan had a good sense of the time and place. I felt I was back in 1950's England. The world building is excellent.

I liked Mirabelle and Vesta. Vesta was there for comic relief but she will have a bigger role in future books, I think. I like how Mirabelle's past is woven through the story. I also liked how racism and its effect on Vesta is shown through the story. The mystery is interesting and realistic. Detective Superintendent McGregor I am unsure about. He seems to have an attraction towards Mirabelle but by the end I'm not sure about him. It will be interesting to watch the relationship develop.

I look forward to more books in this series.