Sheila

Sheila's Reads

A MAN CALLED OVE by Fredrik Backman

— feeling amazing
A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
  I loved this book. Ove says what so many of us think but he has a heart of gold beneath his gruff exterior.

This is an excellent character study. When the neighbors start coming around Ove, he is not pleased but they grow on him. Actually, he cannot get rid of them no matter what he does. He wants to join his wife but there is always someone he needs to straighten out and teach so he cannot join her just yet. He's a plain spoken man but so lovable. You learn of him through flashbacks with his wife and neighbors who moved in at the same time he did. Then you see his actions with his current neighbors.

The story reminds me of the movie, Steel Magnolias. One minute you are laughing then something happens to make you cry then Ove says or does something and you are laughing again. Ove is not a man you can walk away from. They don't make them like him anymore.