Sheila

Sheila's Reads

KINGDOM UNDER GLASS: A TALE OF OBSESSION, ADVENTURE, AND ONE MAN'S QUEST TO PERSERVE THE WORLD'S GREAT ANIMALS by Jay Kirk

Kingdom Under Glass: A Tale of Obsession, Adventure, and One Man's Quest to Preserve the World's Great Animals - Jay Kirk

The story of Carl Akeley as he improves the world of taxidermy and goes to Africa to preserve the big game animals that are being hunted out of existence.  He also developed a camera to take live action film of the animals as they move.  His was an interesting world.  The details are fascinating as Mr. Kirk tells Carl's story.  I even read the notes.  His documentation of his sources is good.  I want to read some of them, if they are still available.  I loved Micki, stubborn as she could be, but that is what gave her the strength and courage to do what she did for Carl.  I did not like his second wife as well.  Carl had a lot of stamina and perseverance as he went for the animals he wanted in his dioramas surviving a leopard and elephant attack.  He should die much earlier than he did.  He was involved with famous people from that era--Theodore Roosevelt and George Eastman of Kodak.  Interesting story.  Reads like a novel.