Sheila

Sheila's Reads

THE OTHER WES MOORE: ONE NAME, TWO FATES by Wes Moore

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates - Wes  Moore, Tavis Smiley
  Interesting story about two boys named Wes Moore, born in Baltimore around the same time. One starts dealing drugs, is in and out of jail and prison, and finally receives a life sentence for the murder of a cop during a robbery. The other has problems and is acting out but has adults who step in to guide him although the choices are hard.

I liked how the contrasts between their lives were shown at different years of their lives. The similarities were also shown. Both could have gone either way but the one had a community of family and friends who stepped in and did what they could to help. The other felt alone. His older brother, Tony, tried to protect him and keep him out but since Tony was doing the same things he didn't listen. He did try to get out of the drug dealing as an adult but the pressures on him pulled him back in.

This is a good read.