Sheila

Sheila's Reads

EARL OF SCANDAL by Mary Gillgannon

Earl of Scandal - Mary Gillgannon

Christian Faraday crashes his horses and curricle into Merrisa's wagon.  Since it is cold out and his one horse is injured she invites him to her home.  Merrisa is not one to hold her tongue and Christian, being an earl, is not used to others saying what they think.  He and Merrisa are attracted  to one another but not in the same class so both think the best thing would be to stay away from the other but scandal follows Christian into the country and Merrisa goes to London to save her brother where Christian must rescue her.

I liked Merrisa.  She is sharp-tongued and feisty and takes on all.  She may be afraid but she knows how to give a set down.  I can see her in my mind going up against the roughest, toughest people.  I chuckled at her as she often bests the rest.  I liked Christian.  He is all the negative things he thinks but Merrisa sees more in him, once she lets her prejudices slide (just a little.)  Merrisa keeps Christian on his toes.  I chuckled as the two of them went after each other.  Elizabeth, Merrisa's sister, is a good foil for her.  Their brother should be kicked where the sun don't shine.

I enjoyed the story.  It moved quickly and was fun.  It shows the hypocrisy of the times.  Keep it discreet and you can do anything.  I like how Merrisa does help Christian with a certain problem.  I would read this author again.