Sheila

Sheila's Reads

ONE SHINGLE TO HANG by Deann Smallwood

One Shingle to Hang - DeAnn Smallwood
  Lil leaves her family in Denver to move to Chesterfield, Colorado, to open her own law practice. She's one of a handful of lady lawyers in the country. Before she has even opened for business she has her first two customers, one a local rancher accused of cattle rustling. She figures out a way to save him and ends up falling in love with Drew.

I loved this story. The characters are well defined. Lil is outspoken and feisty. Drew is a product of his times but he begins to see where he may be wrong. Around them they build a family but not a traditional one. The villains are hiss worthy. Her parents are a piece of work. I loved when she stood up to them. There is a subtle humor running below the surface. I felt happy while reading this. The only thing missing was a clear resolution on the rustling charge but it doesn't change the story or my feelings towards the tale.