Sheila

Sheila's Reads

PRAGUE WINTER by Madeleine Albright

Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948 - Madeleine Albright, Bill Woodward
  I found this book fascinating. While telling of her childhood in and out of Czechoslovakia during WWII, Madeleine Albright also gives a history of Czechoslovakia as well as the politics that were occurring during the war. This is the first time I have been given a political history of what is happening in eastern Europe. She explains it very well. I could understand her. I liked how she explained the questions that arose from the politics and answered the question with what happened and what would have made the decisions better. Sometimes she just explained why they did what they did. I liked the humor that popped up from time to time as she explained what was going on or as she spoke of the personalities involved. I liked the personal details from her childhood, growing up after 1948, and finding her family's story. Well done and worth the read. Her writing reads like a novel.