Sheila

Sheila's Reads

MAISIE DOBBS by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs - Jacqueline Winspear
Maisie was a nurse in the Great War.  She saw much and understands what the men went through.  Returning to civilian life she became a psychologist and investigator.  Hired to find out if a man is being cuckolded by his wife, she discovers where the wife goes.  Seeing a headstone with only a first name on it, she discovers more in that cemetery and that leads her to a place called The Retreat.  She's not sure if it is what it appears to be or if something more sinister happens there.   She sends her assistant in undercover to find out what he can.

I read this book when it first came out.  I forgot how good the story and writing are.  The characters are wonderful.  I love Maisie and Billy.  Because of Maisie's investigation into The Retreat she is finally able to face her past.  I like that the story is set in 1929 but then goes back to pre-WWI to let us know what happened with the characters to bring them to 1929.  I look forward to more stories with Maisie and Billy and the rest of these fantastic characters.