Sheila

Sheila's Reads

THE GHOST AND MRS. MCCLURE by Alice Kimberly (Cleo Coyle)

The Ghost and Mrs. McClure - Alice Kimberly
Penelope Thornton-McClure and her son leave New York to help her aunt save her bookstore in Rhode Island.  What she does not know is that a ghost resides there who was murdered there in the 1940's, a gumshoe on a case.  His murder was unsolved.  Now another murder has occurred in the bookstore and he is there to help her solve it.  Will she believe him?  Will she listen to him?

This is good set-up for this cozy mystery series.  I love the 1940's gumshoe angle.  I love the old black and white noir movies set in that time so this is right up my alley.  I love that Jack uses the slang from that time.  I like the connection between Penelope and Jack.  There is chemistry there.  Too bad the gumshoe is dead but who knows what awaits us on their journey.

The secondary characters are interesting as they come around.  Some are a little too involved in Penelope's old life.  But I like the new friends she has made and I like her son especially towards the end of the book.  He finally comes to life especially when he finds a book connection for himself.

I cannot wait to read the next installment.