Sheila

Sheila's Reads

READS FOR WEEK ENDING 2/16/14

I did a little bit of everything this week:  children, YA, erotica, and romantic suspense

CATCHING JORDAN by Miranda Kenneally

My review: 4 out of 5

Jordan has a dream of playing college football at Alabama. She cannot be distracted from her goal but when Tyler moves from Texas and is also a quarterback and cute, she gets distracted. Things are not smooth for her or Tyler. She loses her best friend Sam and then realizes how important he is to her. Her dad does not support her dreams. There were times when I wanted to shake him and yell, "Why can't you love her as she is?" When it looks like her dream may come true, she has to take a good look at what is being offered. Is it what she wants? I like Jordan and her team. Jordan is a go-getter. She knows what she wants. She gets off track some and has to go through the pain of what she lost but she learns that sometimes dreams have to change. The story was realistic. It sets up the series very well. We meet many of the characters who will be in this series. A good read.

BIG TIME by Tom Ryan

My review: 4 out of 5

Gerri wants to be on Big Time but is brutalized by a judge during her audition. She considers giving up singing but is invited to join a choral group. As she tries it she discovers the joy of music again. She also discovers that dreams do not die but can be changed to be what is right for a person. I liked Gerri. I also liked Keith, a boy she meets through the audition. This is a quick read and shows that changing your dream is not losing but freeing you to find something of value and worth for you.

FLAT STANLEY’S WORLDWIDE ADVENTURE 10:  SHOWDOWN AT THE ALAMO by Josh Greenhut

My review:  4 out of 5

Delightful story for beginning readers of Flat Stanley who is to meet his mother at the Alamo after a camping trip with his friend. Stanley has to face his fears to overcome them. I liked Stanley and his friends. He has had a wide variety of experiences and meets very interesting people. Kids can relate to Flat Stanley and watch him learn.

ONE TWISTED VALENTINE by T. Lee Alexis

My review:  5 out of 5

Eva has a fantasy of Brooke and Peter together and she wants to see what will happen. What happens is one of the hottest stories around. I like these characters. I also like the interaction between them. Eva has to define what she wants and if she is getting it. She has to decide if there is more to this ménage than she originally thought. The story is good. The sex is hot! I loved it.

THE WICKED WITCH OF GARLAND STREET by T. Lee Alexis

My review:  5 out of 5

Lane is divorced but has to content with bitchy neighbor Jillian. Jillian lends Lane her husband to help get Lane's items out for the neighborhood garage sale. Mark is a good guy who takes Jillian's garbage without letting others know what is happening. Lane wants to reward Mark. I liked Lane and Mark. Could not stand Jillian. I hoped that Mark would walk out on Jillian. Maybe in the future. I loved when Lane realized she had power over Jillian and she let loose at the end of the tale. Fabulous ending! I wish I could do it. Loved it!

THE UNMASKING by Adriana Kraft

My review:  5 out of 5

Nancy has come to Blackthorne College undercover as a student to catch a rapist. What she does not expect is her reaction to Professor Matt Bayfield. Both are looking for a short fling since neither expects to be here long. The Professor may be the suspect or he may be the biggest help to her in solving the rapes. As the case drags on, both have feelings which they do not know how to handle. I liked Nancy and Matt. Both have secrets that they will not or cannot share. Too often these secrets trip up their relationship. Both have to determine what to let the other know. Neither is very forthcoming. Matt and Nancy's give and take through the relationship is interesting. Matt is very closed off. It is fun to watch Nancy get under his skin. I also liked when colleague, Carol Macy, calls Matt on his feelings and pride. She does not spare him. She opens his eyes to what he is throwing away. It is Matt that calls Nancy on her secrets. I understand why Matt pulls back but, in Nancy's defense, he has never shared his childhood with her. During one of their break-ups, he questions why he is not enough but not to her. That is very telling to me about his insecurities.

While the sex is hot, this is more romantic suspense than erotica. I liked how the case is created. Using the Celtic calendar adds a wonderful layer to the mystery of the rapist and his thought processes. He was creepy. This was a good solid mystery with the clues laid out for the reader to follow. I somewhat figured out who the rapist was but not exactly. I recommend it.

STORYTIME by Shel Delisle

My review: 5 out of 5

Wonderful short stories to be read aloud with your child.  They are cute.  I love William and Luis.  They have some fun adventures even when they fight.  These stories make you think.  They are different from what is available.  They are just fun.  I liked all the stories even those without William and Luis.