Sheila

Sheila's Reads

The Heist by Adriana Kraft

Kara is the director of the Nelson Museum awaiting paintings for a showing. A few days before the paintings are due to arrive, there is a break in at her museum. Nothing was stolen or damaged so the police are not too interested. The Upper Mid-West Art Council sends their investigator, Ted, to help her beef up museum security. Unfortunately for all their precautions, The Three Maids is stolen. Now it is up to Kara and Ted to track down the thief and get the painting back. Can they do it?

I enjoyed The Heist. Having read a non-fiction book years ago about art thefts I was interested in seeing how this story would go and if Kara and Ted would be able to find the painting or would it go to a private collector or turn up on the black market. Watching them work the crime was believable. I liked the pace of the story. Of course, we readers know from the beginning who took the painting and why but I liked following along to see if the painting would get to the buyer.

I loved Kara and Ted. I liked how they provoked one another as they were both commitment-phobic. They come close but run away when it looks like they are getting too close to one another. The sex is hot and I loved the phone sex scenes and the openness as they spoke and questioned one another during their calls. I especially enjoyed Ted's reaction when he realizes that Kara will do whatever she must to find the stolen painting. Kara is definitely a hands-on person.

I found the secondary characters very interesting. They were not the usual clichéd characters. There was no best friend offering encouragement along the way to Kara. The closest she comes to a best friend is Sasha, the art director of the museum and Alice from the Upper Mid-West Arts Council. Sasha is a lesbian and attracted to Kara but the feelings are not reciprocated and Alice is playing matchmaker between Kara and Ted. The museum board is an interesting group especially the Lawtons. Mr. Lawton is head of the security committee and a letch while Mrs. Lawton is just a pain. I have to admit though I did like that an attraction between Mrs. Lawton and Sasha was shown. I liked the dynamics of the older woman/younger woman pairing with the older woman thinking she could show the younger one a thing or two.

As the book was coming to a close I wondered how the denouement would occur. Never did I expect it. It was brilliant. The Heist is a winner!